Town Clerk

Duties & Responsibilities

  • Licensing / Certificates / Permits and Notary Services
    • The town clerk prepares and files many types of licensing to include, marriage, death, birth, dog, hunting, fishing, and recycling. The Town Clerk's office offers free Notary Public Services 
  • Town Filing Officer 
    • The town clerk must file in the office of the State Comptroller a copy of the Code of Ethics
  • Town Recording Management Officer / Town Records Management Officer
    • The town clerk must attend all meetings of the town board and keep a complete and accurate record of the proceedings of each meeting
    • The Town Clerk’s office is designated by state law as the Records Management Officer. Maintaining custody of all records, Ordinances, Local Laws, books and papers

Town Clerk Services

  • Dog Licenses-
    • Dog License Applications shall be accompanied by the license fee and a certificate of rabies vaccination. Proof of neutering or spaying is also required.
  • Fishing and Hunting Licenses
    • Fees vary according to type of license. A hunting certificate is needed to purchase a hunting licensee. Information is available at the Town Clerk Office
  • Handicap Parking Placards 
    • Handicap Parking Placards can only be obtained at the Town Clerk’s office if you are a resident of Red Hook. Parking Placard Applications need to be completed by both the resident and medical physician. One handicap placard per person. No fee is required.
  • Marriage Licenses
    • A marriage license can be obtained Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. There is a $40 fee (cash or check only) and the license is valid for 60 days. A valid picture ID, (such as a driver's license or passport) birth certificate and a divorce decree (if applicable) must be shown. Marriage License Packets can be filled out before coming in, and appointments are encouraged. 
  • Notary Services 
    • The Town Clerk and Deputy Town Clerk offers free notary service during normal business hours.
  • Recycling Permits
    • The Recycling Center and Transfer Station is available to Red Hook residents only.  Permits have been waived at this time due to the pandemic. 
    • The recycling center is open Wednesdays and Saturdays 7:30a.m. - 1 p.m. Information is available in the Town Clerk’s office. 
  • Issue Certified Copies of Marriage, Death, or Birth Certificates
    • Applications for a Copy of A Marriage Record or a Copy of a Death Record, a valid picture ID, $10 for a search and $10 for each copy is needed to issue Certified Copies. 
    • Contact the Town Clerk's Office for Copies of Birth Certificates or more information. 

Recycling Stickers & Dog Licenses

  • Dog License - Enclose all information ( current rabies info) with self addressed stamped envelope with license fee, and the clerk’s office will mail back a dog tag and a copy of the completed license.
  • Resident Recycling Sticker Information - At this time, residents do not need a Recycling Sticker to use the Recycling Station